- Standard View
The 3.5 story brick mill built in 1797 by Andrew & David Shriver Jr., land owners; who, contracted with John Mong, a Frederick County millwright to construct the mill.
The mill as it appears today. The manor house beyond on the left and the miller's house to the right.
Union Mill's breastshot water wheel. Photo-Soon Kim
A blacksmith shop and the tannery buildings, part of the milling community on the grounds donated by the Klein Brothers. All the buildings were restored and renovated with Land & Water monies in conjunction with the Carroll County Recreation & Parks Department starting in 1970. The restoration continued thru 1984 and is ongoing.
The inlet to the headrace from Big Pipe Creek to the mill.
Union Mill year sign and homestead. GPS: 39' 39.99N, 77' 1.01W 571'/174 meters Littlestown Quadrangle Photo-Soon Kim
The miller's residence beside the mill. The mill owners did not necessarily operate the mill, but many time hired a miller to run the mill. This is the restored miller's house lived in by the miller in such cases.
Union Mills with the blacksmith shop in the background.