- Standard View
In 1793 Samuel Owings acquired land next to Gwynn's Falls and he constructed a 3 story brick mill 50' X 60', c. 1798.
He bought the Welles Mill, upstream, to obtain water rights. In 1848, Francis Abraham and Jacob Groff acquired the mill.
In 1854, the Groffs renamed the mill. They placed purple bricks on the south outer wall forming the words "Eureka Mills."
In 1856 Benjamin Groff, from Pennsylvania, obtained control of the mill. In 1859 the outside water wheel is replaced with an underground turbine.
In 1888 B. F. Groff installed the roller process. William D. Groff gained control in 1906 and flour production was stopped.
Most of the milling equipment was sold in 1907 and the mill became a fuel and feed store.
The Groff family has worked the mill for over 150 years. It was still open in 1993. GPS: 76' 46.58W, 39' 25.20N