- Standard View
In 1898 this mill, owned by Calvin B. Anders and leased by J. Wright Barrick, had a fire that started in the roof, believed caused by a spark from an engine of the Western Maryland Railroad.
The building was comparatively new and damage was estimated at $10,000.
It was stated that this building replaced a mill destroyed by a fire several years earlier. The railroad station is probably the small structure with the sloped roof on the left side of the tracks.
The earlier mill might have been water-powered , as it could have had a headrace of about 100 feet from Big Pipe Creek to the mill, then a tailrace from the mill to Double Pipe Creek, a distance of about 600-700 feet.